What Are You Willing To Give Up?
You’re trying to get yourself and your company to the next level. I get it. Stop making this difficult and complicated because it’s not…it’s simple! It’s very simple!!
My question to you is “What are you willing to give up to gain something you don’t currently have?”
Let’s say that you want to make twice as much money 6 months from now than you currently make. Now list what you're willing to give up to make more money. Here are some things that you’ll have to give up to increase your income:
Time - you’ll have to give up a certain amount of time to increase your income. This might be:
- giving up 2 hours of tv per day
- getting to work a half-hour early
- staying at work a half-hour later
- staying out of the bars
Money - you might have to give up some money to increase your income (I call this investing). You might have to:
- give up $10,000 to make $100,000
- cut back on restaurants and fast food
- ease up on the lattes
- create a budget for yourself/your company
Comfort - you might have to give up:
- the new car
- the new furniture
- the remodeling project
Ego - you might have to:
- swallow some pride
- accept the fact that you need someone to help you do this
- fire the bottom 10% of your workforce
- surround yourself with people better and smarter than you are
Being Afraid - you might have to (as Larry Winget says) Grow A Pair! You may need to:
- take a bigger risk
- take more risks
- get more serious about your future
- stop worrying about making mistakes
As you can see, it’s very simple to change something in your current situation. It just takes a trade-off, that’s all. So…
“What are you willing to give up to get something you want?”
If nothing is your answer, then you’ve waived all rights to cry, bitch, moan, complain, and blame the world! Besides, nobody wants to hear your excuses. You cannot gain anything without giving something up. It’s always been this simple!
Once you realize what it is you want, set your goals, work backwards, then list what you're willing to give up to achieve the goals. If you aren't willing to give something up to gain anything, then throw away the goals and plans - you'll never achieve them by not giving something up!